Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My Oh My, Lemon Pie!

We are finally getting to enjoy the lemon tree we planted back in September 2007.  We thought it would grow faster and we'd get to enjoy lemons when we actually lived here all the time but it didn't happen.  So, we'll enjoy them while we can.  It is loaded!
Yesterday I decided to make a lemon pie with a few of the lemons from our tree.  The only problem is you can't find the ingredients here like in the States.  For starters, we don't have ready made pie crusts- of any kind.  I was able to find one just once in Guatemala City and that made me very happy.  I had to make one by crushing up cookies.  Also, you can't find Kool-Whip here.  Sad, I know.  So instead I made some by beating whipping cream and adding sugar to it. The only other ingredients were condensed milk and lemon juice. 
We made this pie a family affair.  We all helped out in making it.  Cruz helped me pick the lemons and then supervised David and I as we did the rest.
I put the cookies in a Ziplock bag and crushed them with a rolling pin.  I thought how much fun that is going to be for Cruz one day to help me.  What little boy wouldn't love to be given permission to beat, beat, beat on something and not get in trouble for it.
I then used the mixer to make the whip cream.  I almost mixed it too much and made butter.
David squeezed the lemons.
He also mixed it all together while I finished the crust.
and here's the finished product. 
Thanks to the Stamps for the recipe and for helping me know how to substitute the ingredients.
Doesn't look too fancy but it sure tasted good!
We had to freeze it for several hours before we could eat it.  This is the pie in our freezer.  Yeah, it's tiny, we know.  This was our freezer for the past three years and we also had the same size while we lived in Antigua.  The only other things in there are a pack of chicken, two packs of hamburger meat, some french fries, toaster strudel, and some frozen mini pizzas.  Not a lot of room for much more.  Also notice the frost on the sides.  That is a pain to deal with too, ha.  We can't wait to be able to purchase a full size, frost free fridge for our new house.  It's going to be soo nice!

Speaking of which, we head into Guatemala City today.  We'll be there for a few days getting a lot of things done.  Among them will be shopping for appliances, a kitchen sink (really), getting Cruz's 4 month check-up and vaccines, getting his Guatemala passport, and attending a welcome party for a new missionary family.   Still no word on when we can move into our house but we'll update as soon as we know.  Thanks for praying for us!

1 comment:

  1. You are so good to blog during transition!! I wasn't able to do it very well. =) I'm finally getting caught up on my blog reading. Cruz has gotten so big. Being IMBers I am always looking through your pictures to see if I recognize anyone we know. =) Then I saw Shelley. I've not met her, but we met online as well. Small world!
    Hope you find a home soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails