Friday, July 5, 2013

Independence Day 2013

I have always loved holidays but something about having children has made me love them more.  I get excited thinking about how we will spend our time, what we will eat, what we will wear, how to decorate, etc.  I also think about the traditions I want to do as a family with each holiday.  It's just fun for me and I enjoy it greatly!

As I thought about the 4th of July I realized that our kids will not know much about America and it's culture unless we teach it to them.  They are still too young now to understand, but it's something we will work on in the future.  It also made me realize that I never really thought much about our freedoms and rights as Americans when we lived in the States, but we have grown to love and appreciate them much more since living in another country. 

The 4th of July is an American holiday so it is not celebrated here.   I had to plan ahead and bring a few things back from the States last year to decorate with.  The only problem is we were in the States in October- not the best time of year to buy 4th of July decorations, ha ha.  I did find a few flags though, still on clearance.  I picked up some star decorations to go with it.  About a week ago Cruz and I made some hats and a windsock to hang outside of their room.  Since last fall I have been decorating the boys door each month with seasonal things that go with each month.  Cruz gets to color/ paint the decorations and help me put them on his door.  We also do a memory verse each month and put it on his door.  He looks forward to how we will change it out each time.  It has become a fun monthly project for us to do together.  Soon Ben will be old enough to help us.  This month's verse is "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom". 

A few of our decorations. 

I love eating foods that go with each holiday.  I had planned on eggs, grits, and biscuits for breakfast (very American) but realized we do not have any more grits so I had to make a change.  Instead I made banana pancakes.  I made Cruz's in the shape of a flag.  He loved it.

Cruz with his flag pancake.  I made it using whip cream and raisins.

my sweet little Ben on the 4th of July

Cruz had school that morning.  Ben napped all morning.  We enjoyed a quiet morning at home.  It was nice.
Cruz playing when he got home from school.

For lunch we grilled hot dogs.  We had chips, dip, mac 'n cheese, watermelon, pineapple, and red jello to go with it.
David with the boys on July 4th

me and my precious boys

That night we were invited to eat supper with another missionary couple. 
our family with the Bentley's

They made some DELICIOUS homemade pizza's.  Oh my they were good!  We also had fruit, jello, a chocolate pie, and I made homemade ice cream.  It was a yummy meal. 

We shot a few fireworks with them before leaving.



We then shot some outside of our gate.

me and the boys watching David light the fireworks

Here's a short video of Ben watching the fireworks.  He would be real quiet until one went off and then he would clap and get so happy.  He loved watching the fireworks!

Cruz and David shooting Roman candles

my big boy!

No holiday would be complete without a family picture.  Below is our family last year and this year.  As with all holiday's I look forward to see how we change with each passing year. 
Our family July 4, 2012 (look at Ben's dark hair!)


Our family July 4, 2013

What a fun day we had celebrating all things American.  Hope your holiday was fun as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails