Monday, July 9, 2012

Go Tell It On The Mountain

On Sunday the boys and I made our first trip with David to do a home Bible study with a family of believers
in the village of Nearar.  He has been going to this home for several weeks now and teaching them.  He kept telling me that he did not think I could make the trip just yet having recently had a baby.  He said it was a very extreme hike down the mountain to the family's house and then back up.  The wife and kids had been asking for us to come so I decided to give it a try. 

Let me just say that him describing it as extreme was correct.  We have hiked many, many times during our years here in Guatemala and I have always thought I handled it pretty good.  Well, yesterday was one of the hardest hikes I have done to date.  I am not sure if it had anything to do with just having a baby, that it rained the night before and was muddy and slippery or, that I had an extra twelve pounds strapped to my chest.  I was struggling, and praying, and huffing, and puffing, haha.  Boy, it was a workout! 

From our house we traveled up the mountain in our car.  Once we arrived in the village we left our car on the side of the road and began hiking down the mountain to the house.  It is straight down and straight back up.  It is very steep and you are constantly climbing.  I think it was harder going down than coming up.  My knees got very weak, and my legs felt like noodles by the time we arrived.   The good thing about it was the family was thrilled we were there and their smiles made it all worth while.

I kept Ben strapped to me the whole time we were there.  There was no where to lay him down, so I just let him sleep in his carrier.  Cruz did a great job of walking by himself.  David had to carry him several times when it got difficult but other than that he did great.  Overall both kids handled the trip well.  Cruz played good with the kids while we studied with the parents.  He was very well behaved for the most part.

We spent a while talking with the family before getting started.  David then taught the story of Jesus calming the storm.  He reviewed the story a few times, we prayed, and then we left.  I think they enjoyed having us all there and even though it was difficult to get there I do believe we will go again.  I'll know better how to mentally prepare myself the next time for the hike, and maybe it won't be quite as bad.  I do think I need to start exercising more and getting myself in better shape if I am going to be doing much visiting around here.

David took this photo as I came around the corner on the trail.  I told him to take it again because I wasn't smiling.  He said he wanted it to be natural, haha.  I look real happy to be there, huh.

I love these next few photos of David and Cruz.  They make my heart smile!  I love that we get to travel out and minister as a family.  I pray that God would put a burning desire in Cruz's heart to share the gospel with others and that outings like this would be a natural part of his life.



This is the family David has been teaching.  Please pray for them as they are the only believers that we know of in this large village. 

You can see more of the wife in this photo.  She is wearing a Chorti dress.

Ben and I hiking back up the mountain.  This was one of the many times I had to stop to catch my breath.  The views around us were absolutely breathtaking.  I was too tired to take photos of them but photos really could not do it justice.  Seeing God's beauty around us made the trip more enjoyable.

I was very proud of Cruz on this outing.  He was a super trooper!  I am sure there will be many more hikes in his future and I look forward to making each of those steps by his side.

1 comment:

  1. wowee that sure does look like a HUGE hike!! You're right that the scenery would make it all worth while though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails