Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Last Day of School 2018 (Kindergarten and 2nd Grade)

Despite what my blackboard says in most all of the following photos, last Friday (the 25th) was our last day of school.  I had decorated and written on the board late Thursday night after the boys had gone to bed.  I guess in my tired state I did not even realize what I had written.  It was not until I was presenting Ben with his math certificate during school on Friday that I noticed the different dates.  We got a good laugh out of it.

Anyway, here are some photos that we took that day. 

 Our dining room decorated to celebrate the last day of school.
 We enjoyed sunshine shaped chocolate chip banana pancakes for breakfast.

  last day of 2nd grade and kindergarten 




  
 a comparison of our first and last day of the school year

 Cruz's first and last day of 2nd grade
 Ben's first and last day of kindergarten
Both boys finished up their math levels and received a certificate of completion.  We use Math-U-See as our curriculum.  Cruz finished Beta and Ben finished Primer.  Cruz took his final exam and did really well.  Next up are Alpha and Gamma.

One of my favorite things about school is our reading time.  We use Sonlight and it provides us with a lot of wonderful reading material.  I have greatly enjoyed snuggling up with the boys and reading through our books this year.  Some of these were Cruz's readers and many were chapter books that I read aloud to them.   I loved most all of the read alouds but a few of my favorites were The Good News Must Go Out, Mary On Horseback, and Out of Darkness.

We love books!

I let the boys spread the books out and look back through them.  They had a hard time choosing their favorites.  They both had stacks of over ten.  I made them narrow it down to three. 
Here is what they said they liked most.  Cruz chose No Children No Pets, The Usborne Children's Encyclopedia (we used this for history and science and it is great!), and Adventures with Waffles.  Ben chose Dolphin Adventure (and we also all loved the sequel Dolphin Treasure), Nate the Great (Cruz now wants the whole series of this), and Twenty and Ten.  We have had some great conversations over the story lines we have read this past year.  I cannot wait to dive into the next level in the fall.


Ben's end of the school year questionnaire 

Cruz's end of the school year questionnaire 

And when we had finished all of our lessons that day this is what we did- we jumped for joy!  Hallelujah!  We made it through another school year! What a fun adventure it has been.

We took them out for a Happy Meal lunch and some play time at our local mall playground.

playing with their Happy Meal toys

The boys did really well in school this year despite the fact that we spent part of the year in the States and the rest transitioning back to Guatemala.  I worked hard to keep us in a good routine and on schedule.  It was not always easy but we made it.  

We will still continue to do reading, math review, and Spanish over the summer but other than that we are all looking forward to a break.  We plan to start back around August 6.  Can you believe I will have a 1st and 3rd grader?  I surely cannot!  I also can not believe I have been homeschooling now for 3 years.  It has gone by really fast.  We have had our struggles but overall it has been a wonderful three years.  I absolutely love getting to teach my boys.  What I love most is the time I get to spend with them every day.  They are growing up fast and I don't want to miss a minute of it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails