Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Homeschool Week 23: Loving School

In our Bible class we finished up the month of January by learning the stories of "The Pool at Bethesda" and "Jesus Cleanses the Temple".   Our doctrinal drill was on Satan.  Cruz had to recite his memory verses for the month.  He had memorized Proverbs 3: 5-6 and Romans 10:9.  Here he is saying them-

Proverbs 3: 5-6

Ben surprised us both by asking if he could say the verse too.  I didn't realize he had learned it just listening to Cruz.  Here he is saying Proverbs 3: 5-6.

Cruz reciting Romans 10:9

In language Cruz's lessons focused on words that end in "y" making the long vowel "e" sound. (ex: happy, silly, jelly)  He also spent a few days on vocabulary words ending in "ed", "er", and "ing".

Cruz reading from storybook reader #8.  During the week he also read four books from the I Can Read! series about Mittens.

Ben's language lessons focused on the letter "M".  He learned to write it, recognize it, and say it's sound.

playing a game matching upper and lower case letters

using those same cards to play Memory

His memory verse for the week for letter M was Proverbs 23:26 "My son, give me thine heart."

In Math Ben is continuing to learn to recognize numbers 0-14.  He is writing numbers 0-20 and counting to 100.  We also practice skip counting by 2, 5, and 10.

A game to practice skip counting by 5. He had to pick the cards up in order.

Counting the dots and writing the correct number.  Instead of starting at the top and working his way down he did it in the opposite order.  I didn't say a word but it sure did bug me.  ha

Cruz's math lesson was on subtraction -2.  We are spending the second half of the year working our way through the subtraction facts.  

In History we learned about Lewis and Clark. 

Merriweather Lewis and William Clark



We made binoculars using paper towel rolls, construction paper, and yarn.

Just like Lewis and Clark I sent the boys off on an expedition to explore the West.  They used my cellphone compass to determine what direction to go and set off with their wagon.  While on their "expedition" they collected samples of things to bring back to show me what the "West" was like.  They really enjoyed pretending to be explorers and were very expressive in showing me the things they had collected. 


They laid all of their findings out and told me about each one.  Ben pretended that one thing was an iguana tail that he had chopped off with his knife.  They really stretched their imaginations!

They had several small pieces of wood.  I asked what type of tree did they think it might have come from and suggested several tree types.  Cruz looked up at me and said "they came from a shade tree". ha 

Cruz loved learning about the State of California.  It has now made the list of his top favorites.

We began a new book in our read aloud time Little House on the Prairie.  We are scheduled to read two in this series this school year.  So far we are all enjoying this one.


Our Science lessons were on tornadoes (or as Ben calls them "tormados").   We looked at internet pictures of what a tornado looks like and also watched several YouTube videos about them.  For our experiment we made a tornado in a bottle.   We added water, a small drop of dish liquid, and some glitter to a 2-liter bottle and then spun it to watch how a tornado forms.

Science experiments are their favorite!

most weeks David joins in on the fun


"I see it! I see it! I see it!"

Ben used water color paints to paint a storm.

It's a tornado in the black with the sky above and rain and debris flying around.

Cruz's tornado drawing
 (I love how the corn crops are blown over)

Cruz did two journal entries-

Entry #1: My favorite toy is...  He wrote "My favorite toy is my wrecker truck.  If you want to know more about my wrecker truck I will write about it.  It has a mini crane.  I love my wrecker truck!!!!!"

Entry #2:  Foods that I do not like are...  He wrote "Foods that I do not like are cheese ravioli.  I do not like mangoes.  I do not like meatloaf, mashed potatoes, onion, and raw onion."

In Health we learned about bicycle safety and hand signals.

For art we began making a few things to decorate our school room door. 


They love doing patterns.  I drew these letters and they colored them.


Our school room door so far for February. 

For the second year now we are doing a Valentine's themed countdown activity about God's love.  Each morning I hide a heart somewhere in the kitchen that has a description of God's love and a scripture on it.  The boys get up eager to "find God's love".  During breakfast we read the verse and talk a little about the heart of the day.  It is a fun memory maker and great discussion starter. 

Visit Not Consumed to download your copy.  My boys love it!

Each day we add our heart to our school room door tree.  

What is something I love?   homeschooling my boys!  We really do have a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails