Monday, November 16, 2015

Letters S and T

Some weeks of school end up being more fun than others.  Last week was one of those fun weeks.  We were learning letters S and T and there are just a lot of fun themes that go with those letters.  Here is a look at last week.

We began the week by learning that S is for Sun.  When getting my craft supplies ready for the day I somehow forgot to get out yellow paint.  We had finished the craft before I realized that we were supposed to paint our plates yellow first.  Oh well.

my silly boys with their sun masks

For lunch we had these strawberry sunshine sandwiches.  

My boys have been asking me for weeks when we were going to learn about snakes.  If you know me at all then you know that I have a phobia of snakes.  It's bad!  I had planned our snake day for Tuesday and had David ready to jump in to read and show videos to the boys.  Well, David ended up going to the village on Tuesday and was gone all day long.  That meant I had to suck it up and be a good teacher, ha.   So, in spite of my dislike for the subject we covered it well.

We started the day with these snake/ letter S shaped pumpkin pancakes.  Cruz said they looked more like the number 5.  I told him to use his imagination.

our snake craft

our snake themed snack

Last week we also learned about sailboats, stingrays, and seals.  I use the Abeka Art for K5 book.  One of the worksheets was to draw a sailboat.  I drew one step by step on the dry erase board and Cruz had to follow what I was doing.  I thought his drawing turned out great!

Cruz's sailboat

our sailboat snack

On Wednesday we learned about tails and turtles

Thursday was all about tigers (my boys favorite animal of all)

Ben growling like a tiger

We also learned about tractors on Thursday.  That was a fun theme!

Friday was our turkey day and we began with this turkey themed breakfast.

the boys painting toilet paper rolls for a turkey craft

their turkeys

I love these hand print turkeys we made!

We learned "I'm a Little Teapot" and made these booklets.  We also sang "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star".

In math last week we focused on counting and writing to 20 and began skip counting by two.  Here is Cruz skip counting with our flashcards.

Cruz doing a math worksheet

Science was fun.  We learned about clouds.  Our main idea was that clouds are made from water vapor.  We did an experiment called "Cloud In A Bag" to discover how clouds form.  Cruz really liked it.

David and Cruz getting the experiment ready.  We had to collect soil and small plants and put them in a plastic resealable bag.  We added a few spoons of water to it and taped it to our school room window.

David and Cruz with our science experiment

the boys watching our experiment in the window

After a while the sun heated the water and a cloud formed in our bag.  That was very cool for little boys to see.

Then later we had our own mini rainstorm.  They were able to thump the bag and see the water "rain" fall down. 

We went on a nature walk to observe the clouds.  Another day we spread a tarp in our backyard and laid down to watch the clouds.  We were looking for different shapes that the clouds formed. 

Our view of the clouds from where we were laying.

Later we did a Fluffy Clouds project.  Cruz had to paint a page in his workbook sky blue and then take cotton balls to form cloud shapes that he saw.  Here is his page. 

We finished up the story of Joseph in Bible.  Our memory verse was Exodus 20:12 "Honor thy father and thy mother".  Here is Cruz saying it-

In addition to all of this we began a study on Thanksgiving.  So far it has been a lot of fun.  Because this post is already extremely long I'll just do a separate post later on our Thanksgiving themed stuff.  My boys are learning so much and I am learning right along with them.  I cannot believe we are almost half way through our kindergarten year.  It is going by fast!  And, I never dreamed it would be so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails