Friday, September 19, 2014

City Life

We have spent some time in Guatemala City this week.  We had several errands we needed to get done and have been busy busy running around trying to accomplish them.  Navigating your way around a major city is hard work and it can be quite stressful at times.  Living out where we do, life just moves at a slower pace.  We like it that way.  We love spending a little time in the City but it's always good to leave it and go back home.  Here are some pics from the last few days-

We left on Tuesday morning driving in.  It is a four hour drive from where we live.  The boys got up in their usual full of energy selves.  I took this short video of them dancing and playing in their room that morning before we left.  Imagine strapping all of that energy into a car seat and them having to ride for four hours.  

Our first stop was to drop off our things at our mission house and then we headed to the U.S. Embassy.  My passport expires in a few months so I needed to go ahead and start the paperwork to get a new one.   It was a very smooth process and we were in and out in no time.  I should have my new passport in about 2 weeks.  Yeah!

Who knew when I got that passport almost ten years ago the places I would travel with it.  My first stamp was to Israel and it's been a wild ride ever since.

We then headed to the boys pediatrician clinic to get Ben a check-up.
One of the things we have always been very pleased with is the pediatric care we have received here.  We love our clinic and all of it's physicians. 

The boys playing before we got called back.

David and sweet Ben



He sat stone-faced just like this the whole time.  It cracked us up.  The ONLY time my boys are ever still is at the doctor and barber shop.  But those are good places for it to happen, right.

David and sweet Ben again after his check-up

On the first floor of the building where our clinic is at there is a TGI Friday's.  I'm just a little bit of a fan you know.  So, we decided to go ahead and eat an early supper- since we were so close and all, ha. It was delicious.  Don't you just love the boys faces here.  They crack us up!

After eating we made a final stop by the mechanic shop to drop our car off- AGAIN.  That's the third time it's been in the shop since we returned from the States.  We called a taxi to come pick us up and take us back to our mission house.  The boys love riding in taxis.  It had been a long day so we were all in bed early.  (thankfully, because Ben had us up at 4:00 a.m. the next morning!!!)

We got an early start on Wednesday morning.  The boys both had dentist appointments and to get anywhere in the City early in the morning you have to give yourself plenty of time.  It took us an hour and 15 minutes to cross town whereas during the middle of the day you can get there in 30 minutes.  If you want an early appointment though you do what you have to do.
My boys waiting to see the dentist.  I'll write about that in a separate post.

After that we drove back across town to Eskala Mall.  The boys needed haircuts and I needed to pick up a few things from Walmart.
Here are the boys on the elevator watching the goldfish swim in the pool below.  They always love to do that.

The first floor of the mall is filled with stores, a Pizza Hut, and a large Super Walmart.  The second floor has stores, a food court, a large playland, and a cinema.  The third floor has a hospital and medical clinics.  Talk about one stop shopping! ha

Our first stop was by McDonald's for coffee and a morning snack.  Cruz took this photo of us "chilling out" while they played on the playland.  It was a peaceful few minutes.

The boys enjoyed their snack at a table for two across the room from us.  My oh my they are getting big!

Much needed haircuts for the boys was next on our agenda.  They were getting way too shaggy looking for me.  I could have gotten their hair cut locally but I held out for this trip into the city.  I love taking them to this particular shop.  It has become a tradition (and you know how I am about those).

Afterwards David took the boys to play again while I went downstairs to Walmart to pick up a few things.  I was immediately distracted by all the Christmas stuff they already have out.  I just had to take a few minutes and look around.  It got me a little excited.  It's less than 100 days away you know.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

They just had to jump in this go-cart that was on display and pretend to drive it.

While the boys napped that afternoon I went to get a haircut.
We were using a spare mission car to get around in while ours was in the shop.  That evening when we tried to leave to go eat supper guess what?  It wouldn't crank.  Talk about bad car luck.  We jumped it off and then headed out to try the new Papa John's pizza restaurant that opened up while we were in the States.  We are always drawn to anything American that we find here.

me and my boys at Papa John's in Guatemala City

We enjoyed it and I'm glad we tried it but it just doesn't compare to the Pizza Hut down the road.  Pizza Hut at Miraflores is our favorite and they have the best playland in town.  We made a quick stop by Pricesmart (similar to a Sam's Club) to pick up some supplies before calling it a night.

Our last day consisted of a return trip to the dentist for a filling (as I mentioned above I'll share all about that in another post).   But, before we could get out and go we had to take a little time to get a flat fixed.  When it rains it pours, right.  We picked up our car from the mechanic and then we couldn't resist a stop by IHOP.  It's another one of our favorite places to visit in Guatemala City.
blueberry cheesecake waffle, blueberry pancakes, and a bananas and cream waffle= a very yummy meal

Cruz drew this picture while at IHOP and showed it to me.  He said "look mama, it's our family".  Just look at that hair!!!  I couldn't help but laugh and think to myself that we might not actually look like that but we sure feel that way after being on the go with our two rowdy boys the past few days.  It's an adventure- always!

I know this post is terribly long already but I couldn't end it without asking you to pray for our Bible studies this weekend.  We'll be in Lagunetas on Saturday and Nearar on Sunday.  Thanks!  Happy Friday, y'all!  I don't know about you but I'm ready to sit down and catch my breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails