Saturday, May 10, 2014

Fish, Friends, Fire Hydrant, and Food

I'll use this post to catch you up on our week.  We had about five straight nights with activities.   That about wore us all out!

On Monday night we attended a fish fry for the Minister's and their families in the Lincoln Baptist Association.  It was held at New Prospect Baptist Church outside of Brookhaven.  Many of the pastor's we had already met through speaking engagements but we also got to meet a few new ones.    It was a fun night and the food was delicious. 
enjoying our meal

Fried catfish with all the trimmings is something we always miss while in Guatemala so we won't hardly pass up a chance to eat it while in the States.

Dr. Talmadge and David
We loved getting to visit with Dr. Talmadge and his wife Mrs. Mollie.  He is the interim Director of Missions for the Lincoln Assoc. while they search for someone to fill the position.  They are a precious couple who have been a great encouragement to us.

Cruz LOVED getting to see Lilly and Sadie again.  We spoke at their dad's church a few weeks ago and my boys made an instant connection with them.  We have already been joking with their parents about taking them back to Guatemala with us to help out with the boys.  They are like having two extra little mama's around.




This picture of Ben makes me laugh.  He is not a fan of the camera and this is what he gave me when I said "smile". 

The beautiful sunset view on our way home.

On Tuesday Cruz had his end of the year preschool program.  His last day of class is not until the 16th but they did the program early.  It was precious and I'll do a separate post about it soon.  I can't believe he only has one more week of preschool.  He is going to miss it greatly!

Later that afternoon we spent some time outside letting the boys cool off with their new fire hydrant sprinkler that Ben got for his birthday.  They had soo much fun!




Tuesday night Cruz had tee ball practice and then we stopped by Sonic on the way home for supper.  I LOVE Sonic and that's another thing I am going to miss when we return to Guatemala.
practice

While David helped with Cruz's team Ben and I hung out in the car and watched a little Elmo.

Wednesday night we spoke at First Presbyterian Church in Crystal Springs.   A former coach and teacher, Bill McGuire, invited us to come and share about our life and work in Guatemala.  It was great catching up with him and reminiscing a little about junior high and high school days.  I also got to catch up with the pastor's wife, Mrs. Beth.  I used to work with her at the First Baptist Church Preschool in Crystal Springs.  It was great seeing her too!
me and Coach McGuire

They prepared a wonderful covered dish meal. Coach McGuire kept telling us to "come hungry".  He was not kidding.  I loved how they had the tables decorated with fresh flowers and even had real forks set out for everyone at the place settings.  It's those little touches that always makes me feel soo warm and welcome.  I love hospitality and good Southern food!

The rest of our week has been spent celebrating Mother's Day.  I spent Thursday with my mom.  We visited David's mom on Friday.  Today we took a little family trip to a lake for swimming and a picnic.  Tomorrow will be church and then more time with family.  It's been good so far and I'm sure it will only get better.  There is nothing sweeter in this world than getting to be called Mom.  It was a long time before I ever got to hear it myself and it's something I hope I never take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails