Monday, January 28, 2013

The Weekend

On Friday morning we attended an assembly at Cruz's school for all the parents.  The school told us a few days ahead of time about it.  They never mentioned the students so we just assumed they would have school as usual.  School starts at 8:00 a.m.  Well, at 7:33 a.m. that morning (yes, I looked at the clock) the school called to remind us about the meeting and to tell us that the students would not be having class that day.  Really!  At least they let us know before we got there, haha. 

Anyway, the meeting went well.  We met all of the teachers.  They told a little background about the school and how it got started.  We got to meet the other parents.  We got a tour of the classroom and a run down of what they do everyday.  We learned a little bit more about Cruz's teacher and the other students in his class.  It was good.

Afterwards we came home and then David left to go help with a medical clinic that our friends David and Glynis Miller were leading in a village in our area.  He spent the rest of the day there with them.

Soon after he returned home we got a call from missionary friends Galen and Phyllis Groff.  They live in a town outside of Coban and work with the Kekchi.  We got to know them well when we lived and worked there.  It has been a while since we have seen them in person.  They were passing through our way on their way home from a trip to Honduras.  We drove into Chiquimula and met them for supper.  It was great seeing them and catching up with them.  They are sweet people!
supper with the Groff's

Cruz, Phyllis, Galen, and Ben
It was their first time to see Ben in person

On Saturday morning Dan and Obando drove over from Honduras to join us on a visit to the village of Lagunetas.  Dan was doing some follow-up to the institute training.  Before getting started David led them in a time of Bible study.  Afterwards Dan and Obando discussed with them the stove project that we will be doing in their village.   He covered with them all the details and expectations for the project.  We made plans to return in two weeks to begin.  We also made plans to return there this coming Saturday for our next time of Bible study.

Saturday morning meeting in the village of Lagunetas

Cruz had fun playing and running around while we were there

Ben with one of the ladies and two of her daughters

We returned home in time for lunch.  The rest of the day and evening was spent just chilling out.  We had planned to go visit the team at the medical clinic but I was just too tired. 

Ben woke us up around 1:00 a.m. Sunday morning and it was not until around 5:00 a.m. that he settled back down to sleep and allowed us to go back to bed.  Cruz was up around 6:00.  Needless to say it was another long, sleepless night and we were exhausted on Sunday morning.  David had plans to lead a Bible study in the village of Nearar that morning.  He went alone and the kids and I stayed home.  I knew there was no way I would have the energy to hike up and down the mountain that day.  I was soo tired!

Afternoon naps were the top priority of the day.   Afterwards we drove into Chiquimula to visit with our friends David and Glynis and their team from South Carolina.  We enjoyed some pizza there before returning home. 

It was not a very restful weekend (although few are when you have small kids), but we did enjoy getting to visit with friends and having a little fellowship time with them.  David was able to be in three different villages over the weekend and continue making contacts in each of those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails