Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Virus, A Vacuum, and A Few Visits

It has been a few crazy days since we arrived in Guatemala City.  Cruz got sick on Wednesday night and is still not well.  He has had three days of vomiting, diarrhea, and fever.  Saturday morning we took a stool sample to a local lab to be tested thinking he might have some type of parasite or other intestinal problem but everything came back normal.  So it appears that he has a virus.  That is not what I was wanting to hear, and am praying that neither David nor myself catch it!  He is just not his normal active self, he has no appetite, and just wants us to hold him a lot.  It is definitely not the Cruz we are used to being around.  We pray he will get well soon, especially before the new baby arrives.

In spite of him not feeling very well we still got out on Thursday to buy some groceries and supplies.  We also got him a much needed haircut.  He has not had a haircut since December and he was looking quite shaggy.  He sat still and did very well.
a before photo

you can tell he was not really wanting to be there

When finished, the guy took a handheld vacuum and tried to suck all of the loose hair away.  Cruz hated it as you can tell from this photo.

Another stop was at the grocery store.  We let Cruz ride the horse before we left.  He really enjoyed it although it does not show from this picture.

On Saturday morning we made a trip to the airport to greet some very dear friends who were arriving on a mission team.  We were glad to be in the Capital when they came in so we could see them even if it was only for a few short minutes.  We LOVE these precious people! 
Our family with Gary and Joyce Pearson and John and Diana Beason

Later that day we returned to the airport to pick up family.  David's mom and Aunt Libby arrived to help welcome the new baby and also to take care of Cruz while I am in the hospital.  It is a relief to have them here, and we look forward to several days of visiting with them. 
Aunt Libby and Memaw arriving in Guatemala City
I would guess that around eighty percent of that luggage contained things for us.  It was like having Christmas and a baby shower all in one as we unpacked everything.  It was a fun afternoon!

On Saturday night we went to Pizza Hut for supper.  We enjoyed eating and visiting while Cruz had fun on the play land.   

One of the good things about Cruz being sick is his wanting us to hold him.  He rarely just sits in our lap and lets us love on him.  He is way too busy for that!  I have enjoyed it, and it came at a great time when I am wanting to spend extra time with him before Ben arrives.  Tonight at bedtime he really wanted his mama to hold him.  As soon as I picked him up he laid his head on my shoulder and went to sleep.  I just held him an extra long time wanting to savor the moment.  I shed quite a few tears knowing it was the last night I would get to do that with him as my only child.  These last few days have been bitter sweet.  We look forward to adding Ben to our family, but I sure am struggling with the fact that my "baby" will no longer be my "baby". 

I will be checking into the hospital tomorrow at 6:00 p.m.  I cannot believe I only have one more day to be pregnant.  I am going to miss it terribly!

1 comment:

  1. You're right the best part about having a sick kiddo is all the cuddles!! I love it sometimes I even get to sneak in a little nap with one of them. Usually both of us doze off on the couch sometimes lol, soo nice lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails