Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Weekend

After being out late Friday night attending the circus, we all slept in on Saturday morning.  It was nice.  We spent the rest of the day relaxing and playing with the neighbors.

Saturday night David attended an anniversary service at the church in Chico Zapote.  He sent me a text when he arrived and said there were around 1,000 people there.  He later said it was not quite that many but that there were hundreds.  He arrived in time to eat and then the service began.  It was well attended by all of the neighboring churches as well as many of the K'ekchi' leaders and pastors.  Each had a time to share greetings.  It was a long service, and he returned home late. 

Cruz and I stayed home.  It was the first time that I did not travel to a service with him.  I was a little sad about that.  I am sure there will be many more times that I will not go, but that doesn't mean my heart will not be there.  We had a pretty eventful night ourselves.  About two minutes after I put him in his tub our power went out.  I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I am a little afraid of the dark.   So there I was with a wet baby and it was so dark I couldn't even see him.  I grabbed him up, wrapped him in a towel, and started feeling my way into the living room to find my cell phone.  My cell phone has a built-in flashlight.  Once I found it I was able to use it to find the lantern and get it turned on.  All the while the baby is dripping water all over the floor.  I used the lantern to finish bathing and dressing him.  I then lit candle's, nursed him, and rocked him to sleep.  I've mentioned lately that it's been hot here so having no power means having no fans to help keep us cool.  It was a HOT night.  The power stayed off for about two hours.  It was a long, hot, boring two hours for me.

On Sunday we had plans to visit a fairly new K'ekchi' village.  There is no evangelical work in this village at all.  The village, Escarbado 2, has around 32 families, and four families have recently believed.  The pastor from the church in Jordan, Bro. Adilio, went with us.  The village itself was very poor.  It's been a while since we have visited an area similar to this and it's always sad to see such poverty.  It breaks our hearts and always makes us thankful and appreciative of what we have.  Anyway, two of the men were not there so we met with the others.  We had a time of sharing and hearing their needs.  They are trying to meet for services in one of their homes weekly.  Some of the others in the village are giving them a hard time about that.  They could really use your prayers right now.  Please pray they will not get discouraged, but will grow strong in their faith.  We are looking forward to making a return visit there soon. 
some of the new believers in Escarbado 2

We returned home in time to attend a birthday party late Sunday afternoon.  I'll post about that later in the week.  We had a full weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails