Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Week 18 w/ video

OUT THE BABY-
I am 18 weeks today!  The baby should be around 8 inches total length and weigh about 7 ounces.

This is a big week for the baby's skin. There are now two distinct layers—the epidermis (or the surface skin) and dermis. Currently, it's skin is covered with a greasy, waxy, cheese-like substance, known as vernix caseosa. This mixture of fatty secretions covering from head to toe is the best way to protect it's oh-so-thin skin from bruising and abrasions as well as chapping caused by amniotic fluid exposure.

Ears move to their final position and they stand out from the head. In the coming weeks, the baby will probably be able to hear. The bones of the middle ear and the nerve endings from the brain are developing so that the baby will hear sounds such as my heartbeat and blood moving through the umbilical cord.  

It's eyes are also developing — they are now facing forward rather than to the sides, and the retinas may be able to detect the beam of a flashlight if I held it to my abdomen. 

Until now, the baby's bones had been developing but were still soft. This week, they begin to harden, or ossify. Some of the first bones to ossify are those in the clavicles and the legs. 

It blows our minds to think that all of this is taking place in my tummy!  The development of a baby is an amazing thing!!!
 
HOW AM I FEELING?
As long as I stay well fed and well rested, I feel great!  Sounds like what we'll be saying about the baby in a few months, ha.  We had a check-up last week and all the baby's measurements looked very good.  It is a blessing to hear that your developing baby is developing well.  I had gained three more pounds (in two weeks!).  That makes for a total of 6 pounds so far.  We didn't tell anyone we had a check-up because we had planned to also find out the sex of the baby that day and we wanted to surprise our families with the news on Christmas.  They were not expecting our next sonogram to be until January.  Well, we were not able to find out what we are having because the baby would not move it's feet and legs to let us see.   We were very disappointed but plan to try again soon. 

My most favorite things to eat lately have been chips and dip or Reese's Puffs cereal.  The only thing I have wanted to drink this past week is cold water and I can't seem to drink enough of it. 

We took our camera to our appointment last week to record some of the sonogram.  Below is a pieced together video showing the baby being measured and also it's heartbeat.  I love the end where you can see it's face and hands.  Please pray that our baby continues to grow strong and healthy and that we will not develop any complications!  We appreciate it!


2 comments:

  1. What a great video! We chose not to do one...but it looks like a great keepsake!

    ~WM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I was just reading your note to the mission family and decided to check your blog. I can only say how relaxed and delighted you both look! We want you to know that we will be praying for you all! Can't wait to see Cruz! Keep us posted!
    (I don't know how to select a profile, so I will be anonymous!)
    God Bless,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails