Tuesday, February 24, 2009

MAC Region Ladies Retreat

Wow! What an awesome time we all had in Mexico City. What a priviledge it was to go and be with the other ladies in our region to share our hearts, our struggles, and our joys together. We were blessed so much by the music, Bible study, share, and prayer time. It was a wonderful weekend!
Some of us at the Guatemala City airport waiting to board our plane
Being shuttled from the Mexico City airport to the hotel
The long line at the ATM waiting to withdraw our Pesos
We ate lunch together at the hotel restaurant. For breakfast and supper we were on our own to go out to eat at local places. This allowed us to eat at many different restaurants and try different foods- some we liked and some we didn't. I have decided that I definitely prefer Tex-Mex to real Mexican food.
The first morning our leaders presented each of us with a beautiful flower. It was very sweet and made each of us smile. Mine was a pink rose. I also gave my testimony during the first session. I was very nervous, but it went well.
We stayed at a nice hotel in a tourist section of Mexico City. My roommate was Vicky Grossman. I can't believe I didn't get a photo with her, but here was our room. We were on the 11th floor.
We had beautiful views of the city from our window. We could see the sunrise in the morning and the beautiful lights at night. I love a room with a view.
We had Saturday afternoon as free time. Some went on a sightseeing tour and many of us went to a local market to shop.
Waiting for the bus to pick us up.
We encountered these dancers in one of the parks we walked passed. It was interesting....
Waiting on the metro to take us back.
Saturday night many of us went to eat dinner at a famous Mexican restaurant. We were a large group so they seated us upstairs in a private dining room. They had a mariachi band that came around and sang for us. They were very entertaining.
The highlight of everyone else's night was when two of the band members decided to single ME out and serenade me for the group. I was SOO embarrassed, but everyone else thought it was hilarious!
At night time we would have fellowship and group activities. We had a "fashion show" called What not to wear... and it was very entertaining. We had a purse swap that was fun. We had a game night with lots of delicious snacks and finger foods. This is one of our missionaries who dressed in traditional clothing and sang to us. She was really good.
We had a volunteer team from Ft. Smith, Arkansas that came down to minister to us. They were such a blessing! Here are two of them doing a skit.

Chita & Peg

Our door prize ladies. I won a really cute tote bag.
Our retreat speaker was Connie Cavanaugh. I remembered her from being a writer in Home Life magazine many years ago. She was terrific and blessed each of us so much. It was an honor to spend the weekend with her.
Peg, Connie, & Judy
This is Michelle & Kim. They were in our small group when we went through training in Virginia. It was the first time I had seen them since then, Dec. 2006.
Although it was a great, great, weekend, I must confess that I was ready to return to Guatemala and get back on familiar turf. Most all of us were greeted at the airport by our husbands. Mine was very thoughtful and brought me a dozen pink roses! I was shocked and very surprised.
When we returned to the mission house, Rebecca and Josue had me a welcome home sign as well. It was so sweet of them.
Thanks Southern Baptist for making this weekend possible. Your missionary women are grateful and refreshed because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails