Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dinner

I thought I would share a recipe with you that has become a favorite of ours here in Guatemala. It's not a Guatemalan recipe or really an American one either. We call it Mexican Lasagna. I got the idea from the picture on this box of pre-cooked lasagna noodles I found here in our grocery store.

I used to love to make lasagna in the States and made it a few times here until we found an Italian place in our town that serves a healthy portion of good lasagna for Q26 (about $3.50). It used to be Q20 ($2.67) but went up recently. We were not happy about that! ha So now I don't bother cooking it, if we want Italian lasagna we go eat there. But, I have started cooking this new kind at home.


Here's the ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
2 pkgs. taco seasoning mix
2 pounds Velveeta cheese
2 cans rotel tomatoes (or I sometimes use diced tomatoes because we can't buy rotel here)
2 cans whole kernal corn, drained
No bake lasagna noodles


Brown the meat and drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Mix well. In a separate bowl, melt Velveeta and add rotel tomatoes. In a 9x13 dish layer taco meat, corn, noodles, and cheese. Repeat layers. Cover with foil and bake 35-40 minutes.

I half the recipe for the two of us. It's really good!


While dinner was cooking, we walked a few blocks away to a new dessert store and bought some desserts to bring home. David got cheesecake and I got tiramisu. They were pretty good considering a lot of desserts in Guatemala are not. The store was very nice and looked like something that belonged in Antigua instead of Coban. We will probably be going back there for coffee and dessert soon.

1 comment:

  1. How about I just come there and you cook it for me!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails