Friday, September 12, 2008

Partying with the WMU ladies

For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord. Proverbs 8:35
Ok, so we weren't "partying" like you would think but we did have a party. Yesterday afternoon Mrs. Jane and I attended the WMU (Women's Missionary Union- women's group) at the K'ekchi' church here in Coban. We have been trying to make a few of their meetings. I am glad that we are going because it is helping me get accustomed to the ladies and hopefully I will feel comfortable going by myself when Mrs. Jane leaves. I do enjoy going although I don't understand all that they are saying but it is helping me to hear the language. They sing, pray, have Bible study, and even take up an offering (how Baptist is that, ha). They have a weekly memory verse that they repeat many, many, many times. No kidding. I bet we said it at least 30 times yesterday. Mr. Wendall said he counted 37! Because they are an oral society, and many cannot read, they learn by repetition. Saying it over and over again puts it in their memory. It is a good idea even for those of us who read.
After the meeting, they gave a birthday party for the pastor. Mr. Wendall and David walked over to join us.


This is David and I with the pastor, Bro. Raul. He is my tutors husband.










Our meal consisted of Caldo, rice, poch, and coffee. It was really good.
Here are some pictures of poch. They are made from the same thing as their corn tortillas. They form them, wrap them in banana leaves, and steam them. You eat it by itself or dip it in the broth of the caldo. We like them. They also make them with whole black beans in them. These are called xep. We really like those.

The best part of all was the cake. They served tres leche cake (three milk cake) with strawberries. It was very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails