Monday, June 14, 2021

Settling In

The boys had an amazing time at summer camp. I have loved listening to them tell stories about it.  It was such a fun experience for them and we are thankful they were able to participate. Now they are begging to go to another one again.

group photo from 6 mile summer camp

supper on the first night

Cruz and his buddy Jett 

                                                                 Ben loved the zipline

We enjoyed our time alone while the boys were at camp.  We took a day trip to Natchez. We finished getting settled in to our mission house.  We did some shopping and eating out.  Our favorite thing was quiet evening walks at a local city park.   Our time was peaceful and restful.  It was just what we needed.

On a recent grocery shopping trip to Walmart I noticed this Latin food section.  The red Lala milk caught my eye. I had to stop and look at everything.  It was comforting to see brands that I recognized.  I can imagine that it brings local Latins a lot of joy to see it just as it does for us to see home brands in our grocery stores back in Guatemala.
 
We have been enjoying fresh summer produce.  The tomatoes have been my favorite so far.

 
My aunt has blueberry bushes and gave me several pints to freeze.  So far I have only used them in pancakes but I plan to bake muffins and a cake soon.
 
I love summer squash!!  I have been looking forward to eating it.  This was our lunch earlier today.  David said it was the best lunch I have cooked since we have been home. I thought it was so sweet of him to say that until I realized it was the only lunch I have cooked since we have been home.  He's such a jokester! It seems like we have been on the go constantly since we got here.  I am looking forward to things slowing down now, and  I can get back to cooking more soon.

We have made two trips to the library so far.  They have enjoyed checking out books and movies. We have also made two trips to the local health department to get caught up on shots.

Here is Ben reading one afternoon.  He is enjoying The Tuttle Twins series.

Excited about an evening at the park.  We are loving these late sunset hours!

Ben playing on the park exercise equipment.
 
Last Friday David and I attended a memorial service in Brandon.  My mom kept the boys while we were gone and took them to lunch at a local Mexican restaurant.  They loved it!  The service was for a 35 year old wife and mom who died of cancer.  She is the step-daughter of David's sister.  She leaves behind five children.  Please pray for this family as they mourn her loss.
 
 
Friday night when we got home we stayed outside playing basketball until almost 9:00.  It was a lot of fun and great exercise.  This basketball goal is definitely the boys favorite thing so far.  They are out there playing off and on all day long.
 
Taking a much needed water break.

We love these lights that have been added to the carport.  We also have a picnic table and chimenea to enjoy.  We anticipate some fun nights sitting outside in the fall.

Cruz secretly took this video of me and Ben playing basketball.  We were having fun!

 
enjoying the splash pad on Saturday morning
 
That evening we had supper at the Johnsons. That is always fun!  Here are the kids enjoying ice cream and snow cones at the Wesson park later that evening.

We went to church with my mom and family on Sunday, and then went out to eat afterwards.  Cruz enjoyed getting to ride in the jeep with my dad. That afternoon they went for a long ride together.  It was a lot fun for both of them.
 
My dad had won an award for his jeep the day before at a car show and also won this beach canopy as a door prize.  He gave it to us and Cruz put it together as soon as we got home. 

On Sunday night the boys started VBS at a local church.  The theme is Destination Dig.  Their favorite parts so far are the music and recreation.   They cannot wait to go back.

This was the sight we saw on the drive to pick them up.  What a beautiful way to end the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails