Friday, September 20, 2019

Guatemala's Independence Day 2019

Last weekend we celebrated Guatemala's Independence Day.  It actually fell on Sunday, Sept. 15 but the activities began on Thursday with the torch runs.  The boys and I passed several groups running as we drove home from Co-Op in San Lucas that day.

We saw several more groups running throughout Antigua on Friday when we joined the team in town for lunch.  It was fun for the team to get to see a little bit of the celebration.  It began raining on Friday afternoon and rained most of the night. We went back into town that evening but did not see much going on because of the rains. 

We spent all of Saturday afternoon in town.  There were tons of torch runners and even a few bands marching through the streets. We enjoyed a festive parade and just walking around among the people.  Town was bustling and fun.

Saturday afternoon at Burger King in Antigua.  The boys bought hand bands that vendors were selling for the runners.  They tied them around their hats and wore them all weekend long.

A "Happy Birthday Guatemala" sign inside Burger King.

The torch runners from all around came to the Central Park to light their torches.  Here you can see several groups lined up ready to get theirs lit. 

a group of torch runners

Photos from the Saturday afternoon parade-








The Guatemala flag (blue and white) and the Antigua flag (green and white) flying above the municipal building.


me and the boys enjoying the parade

family fun!



Before going home that evening we stopped by a new favorite spot, Glacy, for some ice cream.

My current favorite flavor is pineapple basil.  I know it might sound gross but it really is delicious.  Another flavor I like is lemon ginger. 

Sunday morning was the actual "Quince".  We always eat a typical Guatemalan breakfast on that day.  This year I made scrambled eggs, black beans, and fried plantains.  I picked up some yummy Guatemala flag decorated donuts from Dunkin' Donuts the day before to go with it.  Don't they look cute!  Dunkin' does a great job with holiday themed donuts that you know I cannot resist.  I am glad to live close enough now to include them on our holidays. 

My little Guatemalan born, hair cut needing son ready for breakfast on Sunday morning.

After eating we took our annual family photo dressed in the flag colors.  I love looking back at these over the years.   After that we headed out to church.

As soon as church was over we were right back in the middle of town to try to catch as much of the parades as we could. 


Five Latin American countries celebrate their independence on the same day.  In addition to Guatemala there is Honduras, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and El Salvador. 












With the exception of 2017 when we were on Stateside Assignment (furlough) we have spent the past seven years celebrating the Quince in the Department of Chiquimula. I have taken a picture of Cruz in the Camotan Central Park each year.  I was a little sad to miss that this year and also to miss all of our normal celebration activities that we have done there over the years.

I kept my park picture tradition and this year took his picture in the Antigua Central Park instead.  I forgot my flag at home though which really aggravated me.  Oh my, how he has grown over the years!

Another tradition we kept was eating lunch at Pollo Campero. This year we stepped right off the parade route into the one on the arch street.  We could still hear the bands from inside while we ate.

We went home for a little rest time and enjoyed our annual Guatemala flag cake for dessert.  The Quince would not be complete without it.

We also enjoyed our flag themed jello jigglers.


You would think we would have had enough of the bands and parades but I could not wait to get back into town that evening for more of it.  To me they were even more fun to watch at night.  Town was packed though!  It felt like Semana Santa.  I loved it!  David, not so much. ha




The lights above the municipal building said 1821.  Guatemala was celebrating 198 years of independence. 

town is so pretty at night

Watching the bands around the Central Park. 


As the finale, the bands lined up all around the Central Park and were all playing at the same time.  It was so loud, so festive, and oh so fun!!!

You know I love a good celebration and Antigua is the best place to be for that.  We had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed getting to celebrate a country that is so dear to our hearts.  I cannot wait to do it again next year.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails