Monday, August 13, 2018

Our Curriculum Choices for 1st and 3rd Grade

I would say one of the hardest decisions to make regarding homeschool (except for the initial decision to do it) would be picking out curriculum.  When I first committed to homeschool Cruz in kindergarten I spent many, many hours online researching curriculum options and reading reviews.  I began this close to a year out.  I was fortunate that my mission organization (IMB) had a homeschool conference that spring that I was able to attend.  I learned so much while there from the general sessions and break out sessions.  They also had a curriculum fair where I was able to look through materials and ask questions to the other missionary homeschool moms who were there that used them.  That helped me confirm my decisions.  I returned home feeling much better prepared to start.  I am on my fourth year now.  I still have a lot to learn but I feel like it gets easier every year.

I read a wonderful article recently entitled "Fifteen Things I've Learned in Ten Years of Homeschooling".   There is a lot of wisdom there from someone who has been doing it for many years.  If you are a homeschool mom (or thinking about being one) take a few minutes to read it.  I found it to be very encouraging.

Anyway, getting back around to the purpose of this post which was to share with you what we are doing this school year.  Here are the curriculum choices we are using for 1st and 3rd grade.

I started Sonlight last year.  I waited until the boys were 5 and 7 so that I could combine them into one core.  We did Core A last year for K and 2nd and are doing Core B this year for 1st and 3rd.  We use Sonlight for Bible, History, Literature, Reading, Geography, and Science.  I love it! 


Our Sonlight Core B books.  This group includes Cruz's grade 3 readers.


 Ben's grade 1 readers from Sonlight


 Our Sonlight Science B books. This year we will be studying animals, astronomy, and physics.



We use Math U See for math.  It includes an instructional video that we watch on Monday and then spend the rest of the week mastering that skill.  It takes a lot of the teaching pressure off of me.  This year Ben will be doing Alpha and Cruz will be doing Gamma.

One of our mission board homeschool consultants recommended Sing Spell Read and Write to me when Cruz began kindergarten.  It is a complete phonics course for grades K-2.  Cruz used it all three levels and now Ben is starting year 2.  Teaching someone to read is a challenge but it has also been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

In addition to Cruz's Sonlight readers he will also be doing the Level 3 readers from Sing Spell Read and Write for extra reading practice.  The Level 2 readers began a grand tour of the United States.  We covered the Southern border and Eastern border States last year.  We read about one State each week.  The Level 3 readers fills in some of the other States.  We have both loved these readers!  We have learned a lot about the U.S. from them.

 
Our handwriting curriculum is A Reason For Handwriting.  This year we are doing levels A and C.  Cruz transitioned into cursive in 2nd grade and will continue it this school year.


 We use All About Spelling for our spelling curriculum.

For Spanish we are using Pasaporte al Espanol from BJU Press.  We started it last year.  The kit includes all you need for 3 years of instruction.

 I love Health, Safety, & Manners from Abeka.  The lessons are short and cover a lot of good topics.




Cruz began Explode the Code Online last year and this year both boys will be doing it.  It is great for review but also a good filler to keep one child busy while I work individually with the other.

We have also used ABC Mouse for several years.  Ben will continue it this year.

This year we are beginning an online keyboarding class.  Both boys will be doing it.  It is a game-based curriculum for students in grades K-5.  It teaches keyboarding skills, computer readiness, digital citizenship, and digital literacy.  So far it has been one of their favorite things to do in school.


Lastly, this is the art curriculum we use.  My boys love art and would do it every day if I let them.  It has simple lessons with easy to follow instructions.

In my next post I will share about our first two weeks of school.  We are off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails