Tuesday, July 31, 2018

First Day of School 2018 (1st grade and 3rd grade)

We officially started back to school last Friday, July 27.  I know it was early.  I had not planned to start for another week.  I was ready though, and the boys were getting restless.  Putting it off for another week did not seem worth it to me so we started.  Beginning a little early will give us an extra week to take off during the school year when I feel like I'll need it more than I do now.  Plus, I am so ready to bring some structure and routine back into our lives.  School does that well for us.

With that being said, here is a look at our first day of school.  Cruz started 3rd grade and Ben started 1st. 

I always decorate on the night before once the boys are in bed.  They get so excited to see it the next morning.


me and my boys ready for school

1st day of 1st grade

1st day of 3rd grade


For breakfast we had pancakes.  I shaped them in the number of their grade.  I also turned our red plates into apples using some construction paper.





our school room door

our school room wall





We always do questionnaires on the first and last day of school.  I also do a handwriting sample and they draw a self-portrait.  Here are their first day of school papers-

 

I'm not sure about Ben's self-portrait.  Maybe that is the way he was really feeling about starting back to school. lol

 


We had a full day of lessons that first day.  It went very smooth considering we had been on break since May.  I felt that it was like putting on your winter coat for the first time in a while.  You realize that it still fits well and is actually pretty comfortable.  Most all of our curriculum choices are the same as last year.  It made for a smooth, easy transition back into school.

The boys love to play Math War.  They think it is just a game.  I see it as a great way to review math facts.

Ben playing alphabet bingo.  I love incorporating games into our learning schedule.


They both love doing art.  Here are some thumbprint drawings we did that day.

We had lunch at home and enjoyed a first day of school cake for our dessert.  I baked it in my bundt pan.  The boys said it was the coolest doughnut cake they had ever seen.  I never realized that a bundt cake resembles a donut.  They made me laugh.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that we were doing a reading incentive for the month of July.  It ended on the first day of school.   They earned Quetzales (Guatemalan money) for the books they read.  We presented it to them on the first day of school.  That afternoon they got to go shopping and pick themselves out some prizes.  They were so tickled to have their own money and get to shop with it.  They are already asking if we can do it again next summer.  I am certain we will.  I'll do anything to keep them reading.

That evening we went out for supper and then visited the circus that had recently come to town.  What perfect timing! 


Right after intermission this circus brings out a large yellow anaconda and lays it in the center of the ring.  They ask for any volunteers to come down to pet it and have their photo taken.  I have a phobia of snakes and would never purposefully get anywhere near it.  My boys, on the other hand, made a fast dash for the ring.

Here they are petting the snake.  They didn't want to hold it on their shoulders for a picture but did like touching it.

It was a really great way to end the day.  It had been a long one from start to finish but was packed full with a lot of things that made us smile.  I am looking forward to the new homeschool year.  I anticipate a lot of fun learning in the months ahead.


2 comments:

  1. What a great first day back to school!! I love the self portraits!! Those pancakes are a great idea!! Perfect! Have a great school year with your boys! They are both adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! You are so creative and thoughtful, Regina. Hope you have the best year yet! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails