Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Closer to the End

Here is a look at what we did in school last week. 

We completed our last storybook reader for the kindergarten year.  I must admit that going into the year I was a little overwhelmed at the idea of teaching him to read.  My confidence level was low but it turned out to be a little easier than I imagined.  I am overjoyed to see the progress he has made over the last several months.   I am proud of him but I am proud of myself too. 

our last storybook reader for the school year

This photo makes me smile.  When Cruz finishes a reader I have him read it to his daddy for extra practice.  I think it is good to have him read to someone other than me.  He likes for them to sit in the beanbag in his room while reading.  If he does well he gets to pick something from the treasure chest.

reviewing short vowels

Ben has decided he wants to learn to write his name.  I have been making him some worksheets to practice.


my silly boy!

I have collected several of these wipe-off activity books in recent years from our local thrift store.  My boys love using them.

We are reviewing in math.  Here is Cruz doing a subtraction worksheet. 

another silly boy!


Ben doing a math activity

We have finished our Science curriculum so we are spending our last school days learning random topics.  I ask Cruz what he wants to learn about each day and we find youtube videos to teach us.  The topics we explored last week were 1) loosing baby teeth/ dental hygiene  2)  how a sore heals (he had cut his knee), and 3)  the digestive system. 

watching a video about baby teeth and what to expect when you start to lose them

Our Bible lessons covered the Crucifixion, the Resurrection, Emmaus and the Upper Room, Breakfast on the Shore with Jesus, and the Ascension.  It was a full week! Our last memory verse for the school year was for Letter Z:  Zion heard, and was glad. Psalm 97:8

Cruz saying his final memory verse

In our read aloud time we began the book The Secret Valley by Clyde Robert Bulla.  It is a story about the Davis family on their adventure west during the Gold Rush of 1849.   We watched videos about wagon trains and the old west.  One of Cruz's favorite movies has always been Dusty's Trail The Wackiest Wagon Train in the West.  He has watched it more times than I can count.  We watched it again one day last week to help us learn more about our topic.  It was a fun study.  We have three of Clyde Robert Bulla's books for our 1st grade history class.  I am looking forward to more of his stories.

We have had the best time with our read aloud books this school year!

Wagon Train coloring sheet

Just a few more days of school left!  I'll be honest and say that I am a little sad to see it come to an end.  It has been FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails