Wednesday, September 5, 2012

She'll Be Coming Around The Mountain...

Sunday we all returned to Nearar for Bible study.  It had been three weeks since the boys and I went.  We were glad to see them and they seemed glad to see us.  While on the trail to get there we usually pass several  people heading out.  This week an older lady stopped us to talk to the boys.  She looked at me, smiled, and said, "You all are always coming here".  We pray that our faithful presence is a witness to all those who see us come and go. 

We arrived on time but it was another 45 minutes or so before we started.  That is normal.  We just hung out and watched Cruz play with the kids for a while.  He loves going and playing. 

This week David incorporated a memory verse into the study.  We did it like the Kekchi and repeated it many, many times.  He asked for volunteers to repeat it and immediately a young boy volunteered and said it perfectly.  That made us smile.  

While in Guatemala City last week we purchased a Baptist Hymnal in Spanish.  We have been reading over some of the hymns and practicing.  David wants to also try to add a hymn to our praise time each week.  This week he shared with them "I Have Decided To Follow Jesus".  They loved it! 
We meet under this covered "porch".  You can see David and Ben if you look closely.  You can also see all of their clothes hanging all around.  This is very common and you will see it like this in many houses.  They don't move them.  You just have to dodge and duck around them.

Cruz with a few of the kids when we first arrived.  He acted a little shy at first but quickly warmed up.

me and my boys

The kids played so well together. 

Cruz had a blast with this hoe.  It entertained him for a long time.

At one point they tried to teach him how to use a slingshot.  I was not a fan of that, haha.

When they let him hold it he took the leather piece that holds the rock and placed it over his eye.  He told me "Cruz pirate, mama".  He's definitely a fan of Jake and the Neverland Pirates.  His new saying is "Never!".  He got that from Captain Hook.  For example- me: "Cruz, are you ready to wash your hands for lunch".  His response with arms swung wide open- "Never!".  It's a little funny, but annoying at the same time.


The family gave us a few pieces of boiled corn before we left.  We stopped about half way back up the mountain in a shady spot and ate some of it.  I was starving and very thankful we had it.

me and Ben
Shortly after taking this picture I looked down and realized that I had lost Ben's burp cloth.  I keep one on me in case he spits up, but also to cover his head in the open sunny spots.  I love monogrammed things, and only have a few clothes with his name or initials on it.  That particular cloth happened to be one of my favorites.  I was just sick about it!  David walked back down the trail a short ways but did not see it.  We are certain someone else picked it up.  Makes me sad!

When we got back to the car we drove down the road a short ways and then David and Reyes hiked to another house to visit a family.  The boys and I waited in the car.  I always take Cruz a sandwich to eat because he falls asleep in the car on the way home.  I was feeding him while we waited (and catching my breath, haha).  This other family wants to start having a Bible study in their home, but they live on the other side of the mountain.  For now we have decided to do our original study in the mornings and return in the afternoon for the second study.  The boys and I will attend one of them.  We are excited about this new study group!  Please pray for David as he prepares and leads both groups and for strength and energy to travel and hike to both places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails