Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Ferry Ride To Monterrico

Most tourists who visit the beach in Guatemala go to the town of Monterrico.  We have been there once before back in April 2007.  We went for our 11th anniversary with our friends Allen and Laurelle Stoudenmire.  They have an April anniversary also and we all celebrated together.  One of my favorite things about that trip was the ferry ride you take to get there.  We had not been in Guatemala but just a few short months and when I saw the ferry that we would be riding on I must admit that I was a little nervous.  Now having been in Guatemala for over five years I have learned that type of transportation is quite common here.  The ferry ride is about a twenty minute ride up the lagune.  It is a beautiful scenic ride and I have wanted to take that trip again ever since. 

Well, when we were planning David's birthday getaway I thought it would be fun to add that to our list of things to do.  The road to Monterrico is the same road that the Auto Safari is on.  When we left the Auto Safari we headed on down to catch the ferry.  Before boarding we visited a local store and purchased some ice cold drinks to enjoy on the ride.  It was quite hot that day!
This is where the road ends and the ferry begins. 


boarding

It's not much to this ferry, just some wooden boards.  They put another car on there behind us.

Cruz thought it was so cool to ride the boat.

Poor little Ben had no clue what was going on.   We just drag him around like a rag doll, haha.  He is such a good traveler!




We got out and sat on the back for a while.  It was so peaceful there!


Approaching Monterrico

We drove through the town just to see what it was like.  There is not much to it.  It is sad how run down it is considering that it is a tourist place.  That is typical of Guatemala.

We left there and headed up the coast to Puerto San Jose where we were staying for the night.  I'll blog about our beach trip soon.

1 comment:

  1. I took my family on that ferry some years ago, the kids were all teenagers and were not too sure about the little boat. I went out and jumped up and down on it a few times, I guess they figured if it will hold Dad it will hold the car. The ferry rides in Guatemala were fun on that trip.

    Nice cultural post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Related Posts with Thumbnails